Strong, dense bone is important for oral health, as it is for the rest of your skeletal system. Missing teeth cause the bone to thin significantly. Bone grafting services at Stevenson, Fairchild & Surber OMS in Valparaiso & Merrillville, IN help to restore natural bone structure.
Roots of natural teeth stimulate bone each time you bite down, signaling the body to send minerals and nutrients. When teeth are lost, so is that vital stimulation. The body resorbs minerals and the bone deteriorates.
Consequences of bone loss:
- Remaining teeth shift and become crooked and may loosen or fall out.
- Diet is limited, and digestive problems may occur.
- It is difficult to communicate clearly.
- The fit of a dental bridge or denture may change.
- Occlusion or bite changes can trigger unusual dental wear, headaches, TMJ disorders, and facial pain.
- Sinus expansion could occur, increasing risk of complications from oral surgery or precluding dental implants.
- The face collapses. Lips thin and roll inward, and distance between nose and chin diminishes. Wrinkles form around the mouth and skin sags at the jowls. Proportions of the face become distorted.
Full range of oral bone grafting services in Valparaiso & Merrillville, IN
Bone deterioration may be the result of an extraction. Most occurs within the first 18 months following removal of the tooth, but gradual shrinkage continues throughout life. Periodontal (gum) disease destroys structures that support teeth. A blow to the face or sports injury may knock a tooth out or break it off below the bite line. Malocclusion, misalignment, TMJ disorders, and wear affect bone density. Health issues including osteomyelitis, tumors, and genetic or developmental abnormalities can also play a role. Since floating dentures and dental bridges rest on top of gum tissue, they do not provide bone stimulation.
The addition of PRF (platelet rich fibrin) to a bone grafting procedure speeds healing and enhances results. PRF contains a powerhouse of natural growth factors, and since it comes from a small sample of your own blood, there is no risk of rejection, allergic reaction, or disease transmission. When PRF is mixed with grafting material, it stimulates stem cells for efficient bone regeneration. PRF is also beneficial in healing extraction and dental implant sites. Blood draw and PRF processing takes only about 15 minutes, and is performed cost-effectively, on-site at Stevenson, Fairchild & Surber OMS. If a catheter has already been placed for IV sedation, no additional needle stick is necessary.
You can see from these examples that anyone may need bone grafting. If you live in the Valparaiso or Merrillville, IN area, you won’t have to travel far for bone grafting services.
If you are outside the area, it is worth the drive to receive the care of our skilled and experienced surgeons. Call (219) 307-4382 to schedule an appointment.